I loved this article so much I had to retype the highlights here. For people like me who straddled the prep school / hipster / public university / evangelical lines (not many) – these ideas ring way too true. Along the lines of “i listen to bands that don’t even exist yet.”
1. We don’t need no stinkin’ label
bands that made it big and forwent the typical sell out route. good for them
2. people care about other people’s stories – alot
case in point: blue like jazz / anne lamott
3. Some tv shows have become movie-quality.
4. movies made by hipsters for hipsters
case in point: Wes Anderson
5. vampires, hobbits, pirates and zombies. It’s clear the nerds have won.
I still don’t get it, except the hobbits.
6. rebelling against ad culture becomes mainstream
is that true?
7. I’m a christian artist; I don’t make christian music
Wow, i’ve never heard it so succint. We have sufjan, mute math, avett brothers, civil wars, switchfoot, and mumford and sons to thank
8. Hollywood is remaking great movies into crap
I guess the new star wars and indiana jones
10. Thanks to itunes and mp3s, we are free from the tyranny of the album
11. video games aren’t for kids anymore
Ever since i saw more 30 year old nerds lined up outside the gamestop for halo 3 to come out than i did kids. Also, your grandma probably owns a wii.
12. neo-classical return to meditation, liturgy, fasting and spiritual disciplines
people like the book of common prayer.
13. modern worship music got more modern
Wave one: Delirious, sonic flood, third day, chris tomlin Wave two: passion, hillsong, david crowder, jeremy camp, chris tomlin Wave three: Jesus culture, john mark mcmillan, desperation, hillsong united, and christ tomlin 2.0
14. Evangelicals re-enter politics
15. New Calvinism (reformed movement)
you get coffee and discuss god’s sovereignty and human free will. done that one.
16. Just add the holy spirit
People are getting more charismatic?
17. More neo-classical faith. Art, creeds, doxology, redoing old hymns.
old is the new new.
18. the emerging vs. emergent church.
church 2.0 vs. changing the gospel to make jesus cool to the culture.
19. It’s okay to doubt your faith
20. Community and authenticity are buzzwords
21. Debates over justification
You’d have to read NT Wright and John Piper and see where they disagree
22. I don’t get # 22
23. Many evangelicals get independent, leaving the republican party behind but not necessarily going blue.
For me it’s as simple as socially conservative, economically liberal
24. pro-life becomes anti-abortion, anti-war, anti-torture, anti-sex trade, anti-poverty, anti-crap on the world
25. people change their opinions on homosexual tolerance
yes, i have gay friends
26. i don’t like this. I’ll write a letter, start a facebook page, join a protest
nuke weapons, child soldiers, sex traffic, torture
27. the white house has a faith-based office (both bush and obama)
28. caring for creation and going green isn’t just a liberal fad
there’s bible to back it up
29. so… what if people sold music legally over the internet?
napster to today
30. Blogging. Share your intimate thoughts with everyone.
Oops. I try to stick with “this is what happened,” unless its really good
31. Moving from suburbs to inner-city
Like all of my hipster friends did this
32. Less materialism. Ditch the car, ride a bike, plant some things, thriftstores.
Fixed gear, I don’t have one, but i was infamous in goodwill.
33. Wearing bands or tshirts to stop diseases
34. “I will be as unique as all of my other un-categorizable friends”
glasses, facial hair, tattoos, vneck, wolf tshirt, skinny jeans, shoes that help the environment that you won’t see anywhere else
35. “I don’t really like this, and that’s why it’s cool.”
Taco bell, tweed jackets, bad tv, people magazine
36. What if i could know everything at all times: the iphone / ipad
37. Maybe it does matter where my food comes from
Trader Joes, organic, smart fast food chains “chipotle and 5 guys” that rep their farm cred
38. Communal living. 12+ people in a house
I have never seen this done
39. Why pay for stuff when you can get it for free? Oh yeah, morality.
Don’t pirate movies, download ppl’s libaries, or steal radiohead’s album
40. Abstinence needs a makeover?
41. I support causes you’ve never heard of
42. NGOs. Being financially transparent, single-cause oriented, socially networked ngos in africa and asia and south/central america.
43. When helping hurts. Charity can actually increase poverty when it’s done the wrong way. Get smart with your social justice.
I have a buddy doing this in nicaragua.
45. Going on two week mission trips out of the country.
Not a bad way to start.
46. I wear my cause on my sleeve, or my shoe. Clothing for “compassionism.”
47. Activist / Free-lance journalist / Documentary movie maker / Fundraiser
48. 501 c3’s. I don’t know, I guess this one is the same as 47.
49. Facebook / twitter / blogging helps the young generation to be aware of every terrible thing happening in any country.
Case in point is me. Hope I don’t get “compassion fatigue.”
50. Get to know the local poor.
My buddies ben and joey in Blank Street.