After Rwanda, since it’s the 5 week easter holiday break, lots of the short termers (STs) got together down in Kabale (the very bottom corner of uganda next to rwanda and DRC) to go to lake bunyoni. it was like the land before time.
Bushara island has no electricty, so we use lanterns and gas burners and safari tents and boiled water in canisters brought to your tents and set up in these bamboo shower contraptions. Way fun. Highlights of the weekend included:
- Hugh’s british wit
- stephen and i showering in the lake off the floating dock
- running the perimeter of the island for exercise
- bible study and praying
- swimming the 1000m across to Bagaba island
- meeting a random farmer dude on that island who told me about its history, let me see inside the crazy church at the top of the hill, and told me about how he canoes back and forth sometimes just to sit and watch the world go by.
- unfortunately davy copying my idea to swim across just as a thunderstorm was hit. she was drenched and in her swimsuit and ran to the hut at the top of the hill for shelter. we had to go pick her up in a boat
- having the boat nearly tip on our way out
- fiasco with taxi driver supposed to bring small bus for 10 but brings a compact mini van for 6. tight squeeze.
Later that weekend, we took a one day safari to Lake Mburo, where we saw:
- wild boars / warthogs
- other strange deer i can’t pronounce
- small monkey with long tales and blue genitals
- water buffalo
- wildabeest sorts of things
It was great. Plus we got our minivan stuck in the mud and had to get it out, then also got to chase 7 zebra down a road for at least ten minutes before they pulled off to the side. Plus our boat driver took some major risks with hippos for us to get up close and personal. great day.